No one has the right to beat you up

source: www.lifejackets.com
I was one of a few men who attended Brunei's celebration of the International Women's Day at the UBD Chancellor's Hall last Thursday, 8th March 2012. It was focused on violence against women. One of the forum speakers translated a poem by Paulette Kelly titled "I got flowers today" which really moved me. I decided to search for the poem on the internet and apparently this is a very popular poem and featured in many websites. I thought I will post the poem here.  For those of you in Brunei who needed help, our helpline for you to call is 141 and it is open 24 hours a day:-

+++++

I GOT FLOWERS TODAY by PAULETTE KELLY

I got flowers today.
 It wasn't my birthday or any other special day.
 We had our first argument last night,
 And he said a lot of cruel things that really hurt me.
 I know he is sorry and didn't mean the things he said.
 Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today.
 It wasn't our anniversary or any other special day.
 Last night, he threw me into a wall and started to choke me.
 It seemed like a nightmare.
 I couldn't believe it was real.
 I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over.
 I know he must be sorry.
 Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today,
 And it wasn't Mother's Day or any other special day.
 Last night, he beat me up again.
 And it was much worse than all the other times.
 If I leave him, what will I do?
 How will I take care of my kids?
 What about money?
 I'm afraid of him and scared to leave.
 But I know he must be sorry.
 Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today.
 Today was a very special day.
 It was the day of my funeral.
 Last night, he finally killed me.
 He beat me to death.
 If only I had gathered enough courage and strength to leave him,
I would not have gotten flowers...today


+++++

Dedicated to all the victims of domestic violence. If you are a victim, call 141, our 24 hour counsellors at the Department of Community Development (JAPEM) will help you. JAPEM has the laws to help and protect you and the protection of a secure community home for you to stay in. No one has the right to beat you up.

Comments

this is nice and the great and very good this is amazing blog as to the working manner.

Popular posts from this blog

Brunei Royal Wedding 2015: Profile of Royal Bride Dayangku Raabi'atul Adawiyyah

Family Titles in Brunei

Pulau Cermin - Brunei's Historic Island