MIB in Brunei Archtecture
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Friday, February 15, 2013 - THE national philosophy of Melayu Islam Beraja (Malay Islamic Monarch, MIB) will be intimately reflected in Brunei's architecture.
Plans to create MIB-based architecture were revealed at the "Brunei Architecture and its Connection to MIB" seminar during its closing ceremony.
Speaking to The Brunei Times, Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports Hj Mohd Rozan Dato Paduka Hj Mohd Yunos, who presented a working paper, said the seminar's resolution called on the entire of society to embrace Bruneian architecture.
"Now there is an awareness and an understanding that is available amongst the participants (of the seminar) that Brunei heritage in terms of architecture should not be left behind," the permanent secretary said.
"The resolution calls upon Brunei society as a whole to realise that we should make use of MIB architecture, which takes into account the form and design of our way of life. The Islamic element should be within the design, along with Malay and adat-istiadat (ceremonial customs)."
The resolution's plans of action called for the creation of clear and firm national architectural policies to ensure the architectural assimilation of MIB is carried out by all important parties.
It also stated that policies would place a priority on MIB architecture and that forms that were in conflict with the national philosophy would be rejected. There will also be strategies to realise MIB architecture as the national norm, especially to symbolise the eminence of Islam.
Additionally, there will be efforts made to organise workshops and courses that can promote MIB architecture as the most prominent form of building design in the country, while also producing highly skilled individuals in the field. Continuous high quality training will also be conducted with political, moral and financial support to bring MIB architecture to an international level.
To ensure architectural inculturation of MIB, full attention will be given to ensuring the policy is supported by all involved parties and that unified and continuous support is given in order for them to become knowledgeable about MIB architecture.
By the use of computer software, videos, books and encyclopedias, MIB architecture will be able to help the cultural architecture of MIB flourish.
There will also be more high quality MIB architectural activities that will act as a platform to foster love and respect for MIB architecture.
Last, to guarantee the success of the two plans, it was suggested that all architects and other parties involved be required to master and use MIB architecture in all building activities, especially those financed by the government. It was also suggested MIB architecture reflect the historical and monumental identity of Bruneian architecture and that the Brunei Association of Surveyors, Engineers and Architects (PUJA Brunei) be recognised as a non-governmental organisation that supports and assists the positive efforts of the government in the implementation of the "National Architectural Policy".
-- Courtesy of The Brunei Times --
These papers were presented during the Seminar:
1. Towards Efficient Melayu Islam Beraja Architecture for Brunei Darussalam by Dato Paduka Haji Idris bin Haji Abas
2. Rumah Dalam Manuskrip Melayu: Seni Bina dan Nilai Melayu Islam Beraja oleh Prof Madya Ampuan Dr Haji Ibrahim bin Ampuan Haji Tengah
3. Rumah Melaka dan Perumahan Melayu Malaysia: Suatu Penilaian Budaya oleh Prof Datuk Dr Zainal Kling
4. Seni Bina Melayu oleh Prof Madya Dr Raja Nafida Raja Shahminan
5. Dari Kampong Ayer ke Kawasan Kampung Dalam Rancangan Perpindahan Negara: Memperhalusi Unsur Tradisi dan Unsur Moden Dalam Bahan Binaan dan Reka Bentuk Rumah Berlandaskan Melayu Islam Beraya oleh Dr. Awang Haji Tassim bin Haji Abu Bakar
6. Contemporary Islamic Architecture: Symbolism, Ecology, Meaning Making, Function and Non-Threatening Nature of Art, Architecture and the Elements of Nature by Dr Imam Achmat Salie
7. Suatu Pandangan Perkembangan Seni Bina Brunei Darussalam di dalam Tradisi dan Falsafah Melayu Islam Beraja oleh Pengiran Adanan bin Pengiran Badaruddin
8. Memperteguhkan Identiti Melayu Islam Beraja Menerusi Pengucapan Seni Bina: Suatu Huraian Epistemologi oleh Prof Emeritus Datu Dr Haji Osman bin Bakar
9. Budaya Dalam Seni Bina Melayu: Satu Pengenalan oleh Haji Mohd Rozan bin Dato Paduka Haji Mohd Yunos
10. Rumah Brunei: Tukang dan Kepercayaan oleh Prof Madya Dr. Awang Haji Hashim bin Haji Abdul Hamid
Let me know if you are interested in any of these papers.