Old KB and Seria Photographs

My friends in KB and Seria sometimes complained I don't write enough about Kuala Belait and Seria. Despite the fact that I was born in Seria, I have to admit that I don't write enough about my birthplace. You have to remember Seria did not exactly exist prior to 1929 and most of its history is actually Shell's. Kuala Belait was also a tiny fishing village and it is Kuala Balai which used to be the capital for the district until oil was commercially produced. KB and Seria has relatively shorter history compared to Brunei or Tutong.

Anyway, I found some old colour photographs of Seria and Kuala Belait which I presumed is taken in the early 1970s. See if you can place them.




For my Chinese friends, HAPPY NEW YEAR! I have a little something for you to celebrate your new year with. Link here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
If I may guess....
1. Picture of Jalan Omar Ali Seria, the Arena Footbal field would be behind you if you were taking the picture.

2. Picture of Jalan Omar Ali, Seria. From the opposite end of picture 1. The Seria Plaza would be seen to the right of the picture and the police quarters to the left. You would probably take the picture from the car park beside the Marina Cinema.

3. The picture of Clock Tower/Round About in the centre of KB. The building on the left is the old HSBC building, now of course replaced by a newer HSBC building.
Anonymous said…
Dear Mr BR

I'm interested to know nore about the indonesian rupiah and why its denominations in its currency have risen from just 1rupiah to 1000 now. if you could, could you spare a bit of knowledge on it? thanks
Anonymous said…
Wonderful! I am one of those who enjoy looking at old photos, especially now that I am living here. My husband told me that the first two photos are the Seria high street - and look at how beautiful it was then, so lush with trees! A bit like Singapore, don't you think? Why can't we leave those trees around.
sikuna said…
Masha Allah!!!.. Nostalgia, nostalgia.... look at the guy cycling in the 3rd pic.. must have been from the wet market close by buying fish... hehe
Anonymous said…
I was born in KB about 40 yrs ago. I still remember a bit of how KB and Seria town look like. In late 1960's I stayed in Batu 1 Kuala Belait, near the Chinese Temple. If I have a time machine, I wll go to that era again..... Missed the old days.....

Now(2011), I stay in Seria with my wife and three of my children....

A lot of developments can be seen throughout the years....

I love Belait...., Negara Brunei Darussalam as a whole....

Popular posts from this blog

Brunei Royal Wedding 2015: Profile of Royal Bride Dayangku Raabi'atul Adawiyyah

Family Titles in Brunei

Pulau Cermin - Brunei's Historic Island