66th Birthday Gifts from His Majesty
|(Picture Credit: Ahim Rani)|
The 66th Birthday celebration of His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah, Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam is one such birthday party that you will receive gifts. His Majesty in his Birthday speech announced several gifts:
(1) The government will not impose land premium for the renewal of land lease not exceeding one acre where on such land stands a house of the owner or one to be built - this means that if your land is a leased land (usually 55 years ownership) and when the lease expired and you want to renew the lease, you do not have to pay for the renewal as long as the land has your house on it and the land is less than an acre, this will save you from around $10,000 to $100,000 depending on the location, condition and size of the land;
(2) The government will establish a voluntary Housing Funding Scheme for TAP members. Whoever takes part in this fund will get a guaranteed return. For the low income earners (combined household salary of less than $4,000 a month), they will also be eligible to receive government assistance of not more than $25,000;
(3) The government will provide a housing loan to civil servants of equal to 60 months salary (previously it was 48 months) - this will allow civil servants to purchase bigger houses;
(4) The government will also extend that housing loan for civil servant to be used to purchase land for the construction of houses using a maximum of 24 months salary.
(5) The government will finally build a bridge to link to Temburong - this bridge will cost at least $1 billion;
(6) The government will allocate $230 million for fibre-to-home project - Yes! we can finally get a very fast internet connection, hopefully soon;
(7) The government will establish a fast track system for the promotion of public servants - high flyers will now be able to be promoted faster.
That list, is a lot of gifts!
His Majesty also announced several other initiatives including the implementation of the Syariah Criminal Penal Code Order, the continuation of the demerit system for errant drivers and the need to impose penalties on the subsidised fuel smugglers.
Thank you Your Majesty. Happy 66th Birthday. Daulat Kebawah Duli Tuan Patik.