Muara 1920

This is the other postcards I mentioned the other day. This is a postcard of Muara in the 1920s. Muara as you know was known as Brooketon until the 1920s. Up to the 1920s, the British treated Muara as if it is a different administration. Rajah Brooke managed to buy the concession to mine the coal at Muara in the late 19th century. Rajah Brooke even though was only a concession holder administered Muara as part of his Sarawak administration. So Muara had its own police, its own post office etc and Brooke even renamed it Brooketon.

When the British came to Brunei in 1906, Rajah Brooke was still treated with reverence even by the British. It was only in 1920s that when the lease ran out that the government decided to take back Muara from Rajah Brooke

When this photograph was taken for this postcard, the name Brooketon obviously still in use. I was lucky too because not many people linked Brooketon to Muara and even though there were still bids, I was able to get it a relatively low US$34.

Comments

myNBstamps said…
I have this one and are the other three, Sanbride cards as well? It can be seen at the back. Are there any others? My other Sanbride card was from Beaufort.
Thanks
Rozan Yunos said…
Thank you. I have six of the Sanbride cards.
myNBstamps said…
Are all six cards showing Brunei? Any North Borneo?
Thanks
Rozan Yunos said…
Sorry. I only collect the Brunei ones. Though one might be a North Borneo - a boy riding a cattle. I have not posted that one yet.
myNBstamps said…
Well done. Sanbride cards are rare. I suppose you have read the comment on my blog with regard to publisher etc.
Rozan Yunos said…
Yes I have. It was your blog which alerted me to the Sanbride postcards. How many Sanbrides are there for North Borneo?
myNBstamps said…
I have been informed by someone who is very knowledgeable that there are similar cards for Papar, Beaufort, Jesselton and Labuan. So probably about 5 in total but there maybe others as they are rare. A west coast based photographer, maybe you can do some research. Almost certainly an expat perhaps with connections to the North East of England.
Kind regards.
myNBstamps said…
I am thinking doing an article either for the Sarawak Journal or the new journal in Sabah some time in the future. I am hoping that I can borrow your images when the time comes. Your contribution would be acknowledged.
Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Brunei Royal Wedding 2015: Profile of Royal Bride Dayangku Raabi'atul Adawiyyah

Family Titles in Brunei

Pulau Cermin - Brunei's Historic Island